19.4.09

balancing things out

This weekend, I spent most of my time editing a report that I've been trying to finish for about the past four months. The focus is on youth sexual exploitation--something I've been working on for about ten years. I think I'm so used to expecting myself to just focus on the issue, that I forget the impact these kinds of heavy topics might have on me. Lately I've noticed that most of my friends are also working on creating changes on a larger level--tackling sexual violence, trying to undo the damage of colonialism and re-build the sustainability of Indigenous communities, saving the planet--and alot of us seem pretty stressed out.

It's really easy to get wrapped up in all this mentally taxing work and become detached from the reasons we're working so hard. I am personally driven by a desire to see a better future--I don't have children (yet) but do believe in the "seven generations" philosophy of making decisions based on the impact they will have for the coming generations. Do I envision the next generations of children sitting around seriously thinking about things, letting their muscles atrophy, eating nothing but toast and a variety of toppings (as I have been doing)? No, probably not. So I'm faced once again with a disconnect between my principles and the way I'm living my life. I don't believe that spending every day frowing at a computer screen is the way to create a good quality of life for oneself.

And so I'm inspired to take stock of what I'm doing to balance out this mental work (which is meaningful and necessary, at least for the time being). Since I have a secret love of lists, here's a list of what I've done in the past week to take care of myself in a more holistic way:
1. I started taking a multi-vitamin. (I decided to start by taking one every other day. I wouldn't want to shock my system with too much goodness.)
2. Yesterday I went to a yoga class. My body is sore today but, boy, did it feel good at the time. (I still haven't worked out the politics of westernizing yoga for consumption outside of the context of India...but that conversation is for another day.)
3. I made myself a delicious dinner last night (chicken and roasted veggies), and felt thoroughly replenished by the whole process.
4. I started taking melatonin so that I can sleep better.
5. I ate fruit (including the local kiwi in this photo). I can hardly wait until the local fruit is in season. I miss it.




I want to set an intention to do more of this and to have a longer list next time I take stock. So what are you doing to balance out the challenges you take on in life?

1 comment:

  1. I love lists too! And this is a kind of list I could use... I'm not super great about having intention around balance in my life, but I think I get around to it indirectly by embracing my slacker side and taking a break when I feel the need. So what do I do, specifically, to bust the too-much-work blues?

    1. Play with my bike - now that nice weather is here and my bike is all ready to go, I plan to take a lot more leisurely rides down to the beach with some snacks & beer in my basket.

    2. Play with my banjo - I'm hearing a lot of music that I want to learn, and although I try to take time to play I'd like to do more. I also want to start singing (I love how folky music doesn't require a super fantastic voice to sound great!).

    3. Eat & drink well - this is a big one for me. I'm loving trying new recipes & having great food around the house. And beer. Yummy, yummy brewshop beer.

    4. Watching BBC's Planet Earth series. It's completely amazing... I've been watching an episode (or part of one) before bed for this past week. A great way to relax before sleep.

    5. Letting the housework go. Sometimes it's vital for me to have a neat & tidy space to live and work in. Other times, I just need to let it go.

    I could have a whole other list full of things I'd LIKE to do to have better balance in my life (yoga/meditation is definitely on that list) - but then I'd need more time in the day to accommodate it. Oh the irony....

    ReplyDelete